Data Sequences and Storage

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
bwisialo

Data Sequences and Storage

Postby bwisialo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Ohhh, I see how D flip flops can serve roles in data storage, transmission, and output. Or, I at least I see something... I think. A series of D flip flops saves a data series.

Substrate: Data input is on the far left. The module to its right registers the input at one precise instant. That instant is indicated by the brief green "blip" in the Stemocyte at the top, which serves as a clocking mechanism. The data is stored in the output Stemocyte at bottom right of module. The subsequent modules register the data stored by the previous module at the same instant: they register and save the previous data value before the next data value is saved. All clocks are synchronized. The 8 modules store and display the previous 8 data values saved by the first module on the left. The sequence of stored data shifts to the right.

My big question though: what is an example of meaningful input that would give meaningful output sequences?

Edit: I added a video below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/08duucljrpqdm ... trate?dl=0

https://youtu.be/XM8dNBfstM0
amor fati

bwisialo

Re: Data Sequences and Storage

Postby bwisialo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:02 pm

Hmm... you'd also have to get the clocking just right to get the desired input / output. I forgot that I know virtually nothing about computing. ;)
amor fati

chargrill

Postby chargrill » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:30 pm

bwisialo wrote: My big question though: what is an example of meaningful input that would give meaningful output sequences?

sounds like a shift register, could be used for multiplication, division, bit blasting (serial data for like a monitor).

it's surprising how easy yet complex computing is, everything is basically expressible as a function of 7 different gates in varying combinations and yet so much is achievable.
You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did.

bwisialo

Postby bwisialo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Yep, it's a shift register.
amor fati

chargrill

Postby chargrill » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:45 pm

oke doke, so arguably right now it's performing the function of consistently dividing by 2 (not absolutely) you've got 8 bits there and each clock cycle the value of those 8 bits is halved. (until more data is entered from the right.)

so the substrate starts with 10111111 (191) next clock cycle you have 01011111 (95), 00101111 (47)

Obviously the remainders created would normally have been dealt with some how but as you weren't actually aiming for division it doesn't really matter, just example of the usage of shift registers, haven't actually done a lot of work with them myself.
You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought of you if you realised how seldom they did.

bwisialo

Postby bwisialo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:37 pm

Wow, that's super cool! :D I had no idea. Thanks for spotting that and pointing it out. :)
amor fati

chargrill

Postby chargrill » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:38 am

:D

bwisialo

Postby bwisialo » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Makes sense that where there is division, there is multiplication. :) This is roughly multiplication by 2. With the available options for oscillation period, it's difficult to get the factor of multiplication to be a whole number. Even with good results, things get thrown off by a 0 or 1 every so often, with the result that the multiplication is thrown off by a digit. Small tweaks to the Neurocytes could probably makes the results more exact, but I haven't gone down that road yet. ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sk23snvlvc15 ... trate?dl=0
amor fati

chargrill

Postby chargrill » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:35 pm

looking good.

Return to “Showcase of our Creations”